skip to Main Content
We will be open during regular office hours, however, we will be doing all client contact via telephone and clients are welcome to call in to speak with us.


A separation agreement is a legal document that spouses enter into to resolve their outstanding issues prior to divorce. A separation agreement provides couples with the opportunity to decide for themselves, independent of a court or third-party decision-maker, the best way to divide assets and care for children. Barry J. Carmichael is an Oshawa lawyer who provides clients with effective advice on separation agreements.

Comprehensive Resolution of Issues Prior to Divorce

In Ontario, only a court can grant a divorce. Prior to this decree, however, spouses can finalize most issues related to a divorce. A separation agreement can include:

A comprehensive separation agreement will make the process of requesting a divorce easier. Couples are also able to resolve important parenting issues, such as where children will live immediately while other issues are still under negotiation.

The Process of Coming to an Agreement

If couples can agree in principle on outstanding issues during separation, one spouse can retain a lawyer to draft a formal agreement. Spouses who cannot come to a resolution on their own can hire legal counsel to help them negotiate an agreement. In this case, each spouse should be represented by counsel. In both cases, each spouse must have his or her own lawyer to review any final separation agreement. Mediation with a neutral third party is also an option as is going to court. Even when couples engage in a court process, 90 percent or more of these cases end with settlement.

The team at Carmichael Law has assisted in the drafting and negotiation of separation agreements for over 30 years in Oshawa. Past clients have valued the honest, practical advice and knowledge of issues important to families in Durham Region. The team has assisted employees of the region’s major employers, including Ontario Power Generation and the Durham District School Board.

Custody And Property Agreement Lawyer Serving Newcastle, Oshawa And Elsewhere In Durham Region

For more information about drafting, negotiating or finalizing a separation contract, contact Carmichael Law Professional Corporation online or by calling 905-571-5123.

Back To Top